The small and poor countries join WTO in order to expand their business and achieve benefits like Raising living standards, Income opportunities, Employment opportunities, Increase production, Environment production, etc.
However joining WTO, the small and poor countries seems not so happy with the business beyond the border. There are certain reasons like:
1. Political reasonsSome countries are not able to obtain opportunities due to weak political structures and political instability.
2. InfrastructureEven if there is a trade opportunity in joining WTO, the lack of infrastructure (like a roadway, technology, and seaports) always lags small and poor countries behind.
3. Weak negotiationDue to the dominance of big nations in the WTO, small and poor countries always feel weak in terms of making negotiations. The proposals of small and poor countries are not considered in limelight.
4. Domestic producersThe domestic players of poor countries are not so capable enough to compete at the international level so WTO should strengthen them in order to be beneficial to trade.
5. MarginalizationThe impact of marginalization still continues even if a small country is a member of WTO. The weak economy is not been able to get stronger due to which small and poor countries are unhappy to expand their business.
However, to get the benefit as per provisions and principles of WTO, some recommendations can be taken by small and poor countries in their business strategy: